Summer Strawberry Sorbet ~ YOUR WAY #BakeTogether

Post image for Summer Strawberry Sorbet ~ YOUR WAY #BakeTogether

by Abby Dodge on June 10, 2011

Me and the gang have been chatting on Twitter about what our next #baketogether project should be.. (If you are wondering what #baketogether is? Read through this post. ) Lots of good ideas popped up including  a take on my Choco Chip Double Decker Brownies (thx for the Decker love Sheri ) but I’m thinking we should save that for fall or maybe later this summer. I mentioned Ice Cream as our starting off point and several people, including Barb at Creative Culinary pointed out that not everyone has an ice cream maker. So, being that we are a very inclusive, friendly group, I switched from ice cream over to a sorbet because that way, folks can use the makers if they got ‘em or, instead, they can use the same mixture and make it into a granita.. both wonderfully refreshing and perfect for a summertime dessert (think “Slurpy Headache, Brain Freeze, etc).. or, if you are anything like me,just call it breakfast.

One decision down.. the next was choosing a flavor..

Two days ago, I was at the brand new Whole Foods that opened up less than 5 miles from my house – thank the heavens – and their bins were filled with all sorts of summer fruits – peaches, mangoes, nectarines, plums, apricots (including red velvet ones – ever so pretty) and berries galore. No, none all of these guys are local quite yet but they will be in just a blink of an eye. I promise. After much sniffing, eye-balling and touching (yes.. I’m well know for groping fruit at my market. Hey, a girl’s got a right to the best fruit, right? Exactly.),  the fragrant, ruby red strawberry betties ( born and raised locally) were just begging (and yes, fruit does, in fact, speak to me and I know I’m not alone on this so ‘fess up fruit whisperers.You know who you are) to be whizzed up and made into a sorbet/granita..

OK.. so we have a recipe (see below).. now it’s time for everyone to switch it up. Will you:

- add a chopped herb? maybe lemon basil?

- infuse the sugar syrup with mint or maybe lemongrass?

- change the fruit?

- turn it into ice cream by using heavy cream or half n half instead of the water?

- use another liquid instead of the water?

- make Sorbet Sandwiches? try my choco wafers I made for Fine Cooking?

- make a frozen pie or Bombe

- serve it with a sauce?

- make a parfait?

- make your own cones?

How about all of the above?

I’ll tip my hand and tell you that I’m thinking of using peaches with a touch of cream and packing it into a sweet & salty pretzel crust and maybe serving with a drizzle of caramel or chocolate.

Can’t wait to make and taste everyone’s Strawberry Sorbet ~ YOUR WAY!

Abby

ps.. that’s my Tierney’s hand in the pic above.. you’ll be hearing from her in an upcoming  guest post.

Barbara | Creative Culinary June 10, 2011 at 4:09 pm

You know you make this entirely too easy which is why we love IT and you. Basically freeze up about anything your way and it will work. By golly…I can do that! Promise no maple bacon bourbon ice cream, or wait…doesn’t sound half bad!

Abby Dodge June 10, 2011 at 4:13 pm

you’re on to something with the maple-bacon-bourbon ice cream Barb!

Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite June 10, 2011 at 5:22 pm

Abby this is perfect and so easy to play with according to what we like or have on hand as well as what equipment we have. Thank you.

Abby Dodge June 13, 2011 at 11:57 am

This one is wide open… can’t wait to see what everyone does!

Maris (In Good Taste) June 10, 2011 at 8:21 pm

Looks so fresh and refreshing! I love the simple ingredients for such a perfect outcome! Have a wonderful weekend!

Abby Dodge June 13, 2011 at 11:56 am

It’s my kinda recipe too.. straight-forward, hit-you-over-the-head flavor

Yuri June 13, 2011 at 11:29 am

I looove this month’s challenge! I think I’m gonna make more than one post about this. Ever since we agreed on ice cream/sorbet I’ve been thinking of variations and just want to give them all a try :)

Abby Dodge June 13, 2011 at 11:55 am

Multiply Takes? FAB!

Winnie June 13, 2011 at 11:47 am

Sadly I never got to the chocolate truffle tart (clearly my loss), but I am definitely in for strawberry sorbet :)

Abby Dodge June 13, 2011 at 11:55 am

There’s always time for choco trats.. but it’s fresh berry time! Glad you can join us!

Nancy Gardiner June 17, 2011 at 11:18 pm

SUMMER ON A STICK!
OK #baketogether friends–here’s what’s been cookin’ today: Strawberry Amaretto Cheescake pops. Simple. Made a batch of Strawberry Sorbet following the recipe given. Filled my “vintage” funky 70′s Tupperware pop molds 1/3 full(Thanks Mom for saving EVERYTHING:)). Next I made a batch of cheescake flavored ice cream featuring marscarpone, cream cheese, almond milk and what the hay, most of a small botttle of amaretto(minus the amount in one coffee thankyouverymuch!) which I adapted from a recipe that came with my Cuisinart brand ice cream maker. Filled pop molds the rest of the way, froze for about 4 hours. Upon removing pops from molds, rolled the bottom edge in some chopped toasted almonds to add a little pretty and a little crunch!
They looked better in real life, had to fight off three hungry children long enough to get a quick photo: http://twitpic.com/5d2evi
This sorbet was beautiful. Simple and summery and easy to take in so many directions–since I have a few strawberries(like 8 POUNDS!?) left from our farm visit, we may just have to try something else! Thanks Abby. #baketogether <3 !

Barbara | Creative Culinary June 20, 2011 at 11:10 am

I give…I’ve been saving molds like that to give to my kids but why I wonder? This looks so very good!

Abby Dodge June 20, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Love this!

Baker Street June 21, 2011 at 10:23 pm

Hey Abby. Thank you for posting the granita version. However, I landed up with a sorbet without the ice cream maker. This has to be by far the simplest and easiest and not to mention the yummiest dessert to put together. I’ll be posting my Mango Basil and Lime Sorbet soon.

Abby Dodge June 22, 2011 at 9:37 am

That’s the beauty of mango! It’s luscious texture makes it seem creamy.. Love your version!

Baker Street July 18, 2011 at 12:34 pm
Yuri June 30, 2011 at 10:40 pm
JNerissa July 2, 2011 at 11:49 pm

I made violet berry sorbet. It was going to be strawberry, but I didn’t have enough so I threw some blueberries and raspberries in too. I substituted Monin violet syrup for 1/2 cup of the sugar syrup and proceeded as directed by the recipe.

I’ve also been thinking of trying cucumber strawberry mint. We’ll see…

Abby Dodge July 3, 2011 at 4:53 pm

killer sounding.. was it fab? I’m loving the cucumber – Strawb-mint… Keep us posted.

JNerissa July 4, 2011 at 11:52 am

I brought it to a picnic and couldn’t scoop it fast enough. It was a huge hit.

Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite July 5, 2011 at 1:38 am
JenniferA July 5, 2011 at 7:44 pm

I went a little crazy – strawberry ice cream pie with a Nilla wafer crust and ganache swirl, served with macerated berries! Lots of fun as always, Abby!!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction July 7, 2011 at 2:49 pm

Glad I was able to participate in this month’s challenge… Perfect for the hot, sticky weather we’ve had lately!

Here’s my simple Hard Cherry Lemonade Sorbet – http://www.mykitchenaddiction.com/2011/06/hard-cherry-lemonade-sorbet/

Kate @ Food Babbles July 7, 2011 at 6:53 pm

Just read on Twitter that I was supposed to leave a link here once my post was up. Oops!! But here it is… Better late than never ;) Sorbet “My Way” Two Ways… Strawberry, Fresh Peach & Basil Sorbet and also Coconut Key Lime Sorbet with Fresh Ginger. http://foodbabbles.com/2011/06/20/baketogether-with-abby-dodge-sorbet-my-way/

Abby Dodge July 8, 2011 at 10:08 am

Thanks! I saw your post already — heaven!

Maranda July 11, 2011 at 11:02 am

I don’t know if I made it in time for the roundup. But here’s my sorbet either way!

Abby Dodge July 11, 2011 at 11:59 am

You MADE IT! Rounding up post will be up by the 15th. So glad you could join us!

Winnie July 16, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Hey Abby,
Forgot to leave a link here when I made my granita. Might be too late for the round-up but here it is. ps See you soon at BSP2!

Abby Dodge July 17, 2011 at 9:58 am

Hey Win.. Thanks for the link leaving.. I saw your post so it definitely made the #baketogether round which is forthcoming!!

Deb @ knitstamatic August 1, 2011 at 8:21 pm

I know I’m way too late to the game for this #baketogether but since my latest post is based on your sorbet recipe (which I had indended to mkae on time) I thought I’d share it with you anyway. Hope you have a chance to look at it. Here’s the link: http://knitstamatic.wordpress.com/2011/08/01/rosemary-infused-blueberry-sorbet/

Abby Dodge June 20, 2011 at 12:18 pm

TWO versions- crazy about both.. the lemongrass addition is fab.. can’t wait to try both.

Abby Dodge June 20, 2011 at 12:19 pm

Oh my… I swear I can smell this sorbet from here on the other edge of the continent.. now, if I could only taste this, then I would be happy.

Abby Dodge July 8, 2011 at 10:09 am

Gorgeous Ken! Glad you could join us!