R’ock-tober #baketogether ~ Classic Spiced Sour Cream Coffee Cake YOUR way

Post image for R’ock-tober #baketogether ~ Classic Spiced Sour Cream Coffee Cake YOUR way

by Abby Dodge on October 5, 2011

September was a rocky month for me – one filled with too many downs and not enough ups. So, I’m looking towards October for a fresh start and I’m in the mood for some old fashioned, comfort food. For me, that means I dust off my recipe box from yester-year (yes, I really still have a box filled with my teenage, handwritten recipes), pull out my most memorable recipes, fire up the oven, grease a cake pan or two and start my baking engines. Are you ready to #baketogether ? I could use the company so I sure hope you are fired up.

I selected Classic Sour Cream Coffeecake for this months’ #baketogether because it is, well,  a classic – one that should be in every recipe box even if yours in stashed on your computer. The flavors are traditional: cinnamon, nutmeg (I like mine freshly grated), butter, brown sugar and sour cream. The method is straight-forward and the batter can even be made with a hand-held mixer (just like my Mom used). It’s these qualities that make it such a great #baketogether recipe. This base recipe is perfect as is YET there’s literally hundreds of ways for everyone to switch things up. It’s the perfect vanilla canvas that’s just waiting for some twisting and shaking.

Want a few suggestions? Mull these over and see what strikes your fancy:

Change the shape. Make  muffins or loaves or even double the recipe and bake in a tube pan.

Change the flavor. Take the “spice “out. Add pears or apples or dried fruit. Try ginger (you know how I love ginger in all forms) or almond.

Change the Streusel. Add chocolate or nuts or oatmeal or ???

Change the sour cream. Buttermilk or yogurt would be delish.

Or.. change ‘em all! It’s completely up to you. Remember, #baketogether is all about sharing your take on this recipe with us – just as if we were all together in one (big) kitchen swapping ideas, inspirations and forkfuls. All you need to do is bake and post your version (pix please too), link back to my post, leave a comment on this post with your link and then share with your friends, readers, tweeters and followers.

I can’t wait to see how everyone spins this classic – I’m thinking we’ll see some serious innovation this month. As always, I’ll post a round up in the beginning of November – I wouldn’t want anyone to miss even one of these variations.

Wish you and yours a very “ROCK”-tober!

Abby

ps. I’d hate for you to miss any #baketogether recipes or round ups so go ahead and sign up for my rss feed. It’s up there on the right hand side.

My Kitchen Wisdom:

• Streusel is made w/ dark brown sugar to offer more contrast w/ the cake BUT, if you don’t mind a more subtle-looking swirl in the cake, it can easily be made with light brown sugar.
  • If you weigh your dry ingredients, I love you. If you don’t, I love you anyway… but I hope you will spoon and level your flour NOT scoop and level. If you do the latter,  you’ll add too much flour to the batter and your cake will be dense and you will be sad.
  • The cake tastes best when baked a day or two before serving but can also be served warm from the oven.

Deb @ knitstamatic October 5, 2011 at 9:56 am

Oh I am so in on this one. I love coffee cake. It’s comfort food baking!

a spoonful of yumm October 5, 2011 at 10:59 am

i love coffee cakes & the addition of spices makes it even better :D feel good food all the way !

Baker Street October 5, 2011 at 11:21 am

So so in! Love coffee cake! And your recipe sounds perfect

Barbie October 5, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Count me in! :)

Excited to do #baketogether for the first time!

Abby Dodge October 5, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Welcome Barbie n-We are soo excited to have you join us in the kitchen! Are you on Twitter??

Barbie October 5, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Yes, I am! :) I am following you – @barbiekels :)

Priya (Yallapantula) Mitharwal October 5, 2011 at 3:30 pm

That cake looks super tempting, so I am going to give it a try and see if I can make it anywhere closer to your perfection. I love coffee cake with cinnamon swirls in it :)

MrsWheelbarrow October 5, 2011 at 9:28 pm

Dearest Abbie, I’m so sorry you’ve had such a crummy September. But here it is October and you’ve made coffee cake! Everything is looking up! I can’t wait to try my hand at some version of this lovely treat. My grandmother Mary made sour cream coffee cake whenever I visited. She would tell the same story each time – “My Aunt Sophie gave me this recipe. When my seven brothers and sisters and I would go to her house, she would throw up her hands, offer up the cake and say ‘Now that you’re all here, I’ll have to throw out the stove.’ No one understood this saying, but the cake was forever called Sophie’s Throw Out the Stove Cake.” Much love, Cathy

Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite October 6, 2011 at 5:58 am

I LOVE THIS! Cannot wait to make….

Jamie October 6, 2011 at 6:19 am

Sweet Abby. So many downs these days for many of us but we must look towards the ups, right? And a classic coffee cake – a favorite in our house – is comforting and warming. Perfect recipe, perfect cake and I am in! My crazy month of August/September left me no time to bake! xo

Renee - Kudos Kitchen October 7, 2011 at 4:32 pm

My head is spinning with all the coffee cake possibilities! I can’t wait to get baking with your recipe as my guiding light Abby. Your photo has me salivating.

Deepti October 7, 2011 at 4:56 pm

This is just the perfect recipe for me to make! And this is going to be my first at #baketogether! I love coffee cakes..and I am getting too many ideas to try out! I hope I get a good outcome.. oh boy my weekend just got a great kickstart!

Renee - Kudos Kitchen October 10, 2011 at 10:20 am

I hope it’s not too early to post my Rock-tober #baketogether
I’m afraid I’ll forget if I don’t do it while I’m thinking about it.

This was a fun recipe Abby. The house smelled aaaaah-mazing!

Deepti October 10, 2011 at 11:55 pm

Here’s mine: http://deeptibhogle.blogspot.com/2011/10/healthy-streusel-cupcakes.html
They came out really well..n truly yummy..

Polkadot Princess October 11, 2011 at 9:08 pm

This was a great recipe, easy, satisfying, and everybody in the house loved it:

Joyce @friendsdriftinn October 15, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Abby, I hope October is kind to you. I added sorghum and pepper flakes as background flavors. Blueberries and bourbon sauce and a cute chef round out the recipe! Giggles

Lora @cakeduchess October 17, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Hi Abby-I hope this month was a little brighter for you. Your coffee cake is scrumptious and it inspired me to make this vegan version:) I send you hugs and kisses. xx

JNerissa October 19, 2011 at 12:19 am

I loved this so much I made it twice, the first time my way was your way. I followed the original recipe exactly. I couldn’t resist. It was perfect.

Then, just to be different I made it again, with pecans and milk chocolate mixed into the streusel, and pears in the middle.

Aimee @ Food: Je t'Aimee October 19, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Hi Abby! Such a pleasure to join you this month. I sincerely hope you’re feeling better and that October is being oh-so kind to you…

Here is a link to my post: Sour Cream & Apple Coffee Cake (with Apple Butter)

A beautiful recipe and one I’ll be referencing often! Thank you! xo

SMITH BITES October 20, 2011 at 10:50 am

Am so sorry that September was unkind to you and i do hope that October really does Rock!! have wanted to participate in your #baketogethers for a while but never seem to get in sync . . . but lo and behold . . . i made cakes this month!!

My link for Glazed Apple Cakes w/Cinnamon Sugar

super moist and very fall-ish!

Deeba Rajpal (@vindee) October 21, 2011 at 9:55 am

Thanks for another rocking good month Abby. Made a Spiced Apple Buttermilk Coffee Cake … and loved it to bits. Was over sooner than expected!

Wendy Read - Sunchowder October 21, 2011 at 10:14 pm

So excited to participate for the first time, I also went with Apples as tis the season! Here is my version with grated apples and boiled cider syrup!

Abby Dodge October 22, 2011 at 10:06 am

Looks awesome!

Kate @ Food Babbles October 24, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Here’s my take on sour cream coffee cake… I added pumpkin to my batter, hid some apples in there with the streusel and made it into a bundt cake :) http://foodbabbles.com/2011/10/24/apple-pumpkin-sour-cream-coffee-cake-for-baketogether/

Georgie October 24, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Abby, Hope your feeling better and with the new month brings new beginnings. Wow, there are so many great interpretations of this yummy classic cake. I’ll be making more… here’s mine… http://wp.me/psB27-J0

Jamie October 25, 2011 at 11:28 am

I want to join in this month’s baking fun! Is it too late? Can I post up until the last day of the month? How does that work?

Thanks!

Abby Dodge October 25, 2011 at 11:47 am

YES! please do join us – I speak for the group when I say “welcome”!! If you could post by the end of the month (or soon after), then I can add you to the round up.. Of course, because we are a very relaxed group, whenever you post, I’ll be sure to edit the round up and include you!

Carrie @ poet in the pantry October 25, 2011 at 8:19 pm

Yay, I made it this month! Pear Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake:

Hoping this month has been going better for you.

Abby Dodge October 26, 2011 at 10:10 am

This looks phenomenal – so glad you could join us!!

a spoonful of yumm October 27, 2011 at 1:28 pm

hope october was good for you abby ! made it just in time for #baketogether. glad to be part of it ! made muffins & coffeecake :

Jamie October 28, 2011 at 1:56 pm

I just posted my coffee cake! Sour Cream-Orange Coffee Cake with Chocolate Streusel! http://www.cookinwithmoxie.com/blog/?p=1372

Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite October 30, 2011 at 8:49 am

Mine are up:
Not the most successful foray into muffins – think I need to use regular flour not whole wheat next time!

Deb @ knitstamatic October 30, 2011 at 4:47 pm
deb @ knitstamatic October 30, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Excellent, take out the “s” in the URL please. Long day. Here’s the correct version:

Lisa / Muffin Tin October 31, 2011 at 11:33 am

Here’s my version with cocoa streusel and chopped chocolate. http://dustwithflour.blogspot.com/2011/10/october-baketogether-spiced-coffee-cake.html