Whoopie!

Post image for Whoopie!

by Abby Dodge on January 14, 2013

Over the past 18 months or so, our monthly Baketogether sessions have brought many of us from around the globe together under the umbrella of friendship, food and community. For me, it’s always a wonderful surprise to see who shows up in our virtual kitchen and to see how these creative folks have spun the recipe. The recipes are always impressive, creative and, most of all, inspiring. Each version of every recipe inspires me to push forward with new variations, renovated techniques, unique flavor pairings. In a sentence, your baketogether recipes have inspired me to be a better baker.

Of course, we Baketogether folks are always looking for new company in our kitchen. As I like to say .. “the more the merrier’! I bet you can imagine my absolute delight when my  friend, the venerable GREG PATENT himself reached out about BakeTogether! Along with being an incredibly warm, giving colleague, Greg is a brilliant writer, an American baking icon and one of my all-time baking heros. He’s written many books with these two as my personal faves – Baking in America and A Baker’s Odyssey. They hold a special place on my bookshelf as they should on yours. He is a baking genius hence his aptly named website: The Baking Wizard ! Grab a cup of tea or coffee and check out his site.. so much valuable, valuable info and recipes. Greg is also on Twitter. Follow @GregPatent – I do!

Greg and I had been emailing about Baketogether and I bravely and humbly asked if he’d like a copy of my Mini Treats & Handheld Sweets. He said yes. I mailed the book. And.. he liked it. So much so that he asked for permission  to do a BakeTogether version of one of the recipes in the book. (really? Greg Patent wants to spin one of MY recipes? I giggled like a school girl.) Specifically, he inquired about the Orange Whoopie Pies with Orange-Honey Buttercream (page 112). To say I was and am honored, would be the world’s biggest understatement. We agreed that I would do a spin-off recipe as well and we would co-post in January. TODAY.

Here’s Greg’s recipe.

I’ll admit that I cheated a bit with my version of, well, my recipe. While I’ve switched up the flavoring of the Whoopie and filled them with a devilish, chocolaty velvet filling, I have only given you the recipe for the Whoops and not the filling. OK.. OK.. I can hear the name-calling from my office. Yes, I confess to being more than a little bit of a tease but, in my own defense, a girl has to at least try to make a living. Forgive me? I hope so.. You can find the filling recipe on page 118 of Mini Treats.

While this isn’t a “regulation” Baketogether, Let me know if you’d like to join me and Greg in spinning this Whoopie YOUR way. If so, I’ll add a linky thing so we can share. In the meantime, checkout Greg’s recipe.. It’s brilliant.

And, stay tuned for February’s Baketogether — there’s a BIG, sweet prize involved!

I’ll close this post as Greg and I have taken to closing our emails…

Whoopie!

Suzanne January 14, 2013 at 11:10 am

How exciting I love and greatly admire Greg and would LOVE to participate in this non official Baketogether!! Count me in.

Abby Dodge January 14, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Hi Suzanne, Greg is a dream, isn’t he. This will be fun!

Suzanne January 21, 2013 at 2:17 pm
Mardi (eat. live.travel. write.) January 14, 2013 at 5:31 pm

Hmmm… Whoopie pies…. I know a certain group of Petits Chefs who might like to try their hand at this one… Ahem. I have never made them myself. What’s the timeline? (also, I don’t have the book so I can’t turn to p 118)

Abby Dodge January 16, 2013 at 4:43 pm

Mardi, my dear!! you can fill as you like!

Nicole January 14, 2013 at 8:32 pm

I’d love to have this as an unofficial #baketogether! I even have something in mind…

Kate | Food Babbles January 15, 2013 at 1:57 pm

I’m in!! You know I would miss a BakeTogether for the world, even an unofficial one ;) Your whoopie pies sound fantastic and I can’t wait to get working on some of my own.

Betty Ann @Mango_Queen January 16, 2013 at 3:20 pm

Honestly, I good weak in the knees after reading through the recipe. How can I resist not baking these? I like the whoopies recipe. Can I make my own filling or do you prefer I use a recipe from your book? Thanks for sharing, Abby!

Micha January 17, 2013 at 6:55 pm

I made your red velvet whoopies for a girl’s post Christmas get together and they were scrumptious!! I did use a vegan buttercream frosting for my dairy allergy son and I’m not kidding, the little dude devoured his whoopie in no time. Thanks for sharing another great recipe and I’ll have to look Greg up.

JNerissa January 20, 2013 at 3:37 pm

Greg Patent is one of my baking heroes! As another person with a passion for cooking who wound up on the non-culinary academic track I feel a special kinship with him. And he has the best recipes for Boston cream pie and for yeast doughnuts ever.

Scott_D January 21, 2013 at 2:07 pm
Suzanne January 21, 2013 at 2:15 pm

We are on the same wave length, I used ginger in mine also. Yours are beautiful and I love the pics of the girls licking the beaters. How cute are they!!! I should have posted the link to mine here will do that. I like the crystalized ginger in the filling.

Suzanne January 21, 2013 at 2:17 pm

I forgot to mention the lavender also, what a great combination.

Kate | Food Babbles January 24, 2013 at 9:48 am
Mike @ Webakecookies.com March 9, 2013 at 3:30 am

These look nice. I tried the Gingerbread Whoopie pies and loved them. I can’t wait to give yours a try. Vanilla Bean and chocolate go perfect together. Thanks for sharing!