Summer Fruit Cake ~YOUR WAY #baketogether

Post image for Summer Fruit Cake ~YOUR WAY #baketogether

by Abby Dodge on July 14, 2011

#baketogether decision time.. This was an easy one.  Let’s make a single layer cake that highlights summer’s best fruit. This recipe is about as straight-forward as a cake can get – no fancy ingredients (unless YOU want ‘em),  a simple preparation and the presentation is as casual or fancy as you want to make it. One note on the image above, after shooting and eating this cake, I decided to increase the amount of berries. the recipe below reflects that increase even though the pic doesn’t.

We #baketogether folks are super casual, right? Well, being that it’s summer and we are all busy chillin’, workin’ or travelin’, let’s go uber cool and get ourselves into the kitchen between now and the end of August to bake up this little honey of a cake. Cool with that? Good. Of course, I don’t want you to think you can’t post right now.. please post when ready. Just remember to mention #baketogether in your post  & link back to the original recipe and use the hashtag on your tweets so we can follow the conversation and, hopefully, make new #baketogether friends. There’s always plenty of room in our kitchen. Lastly, post a link to your creation in the comments below so that I can keep close tabs for the #round up.

OK.. so we have a recipe (see below).. now it’s time for everyone to switch it up. Will you:

- add a chopped herb?

- switch-in a different flavoring?

- change the dairy? (can anyone say coconut milk?)

- change the fruit?

- make it chocolate?

- make it cupcakes?

- frost it?

- serve it with a sauce?

- make a topping?

How about all of the above?

I’ll tip my hand and tell you that I’m thinking of using even more berries than the amended amount with a touch of cornmeal, ginger instead of orange and add a streusel topping.. oh and I might also switch up the sugars.. we’ll see what happens.

Can’t wait to make and taste everyone’s Summer Fruit Cake ~ YOUR WAY!

Abby

Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite July 14, 2011 at 1:46 pm

Oooh there are so many wonderful fruits here in Paris, I cannot wait to make this. Though I do not have an electric mixer, hope I can make it work with a whisk…..

Abby Dodge July 14, 2011 at 2:57 pm

Your Parisien whisk will get the job done.. it will just take some elbow grease on your part to cream up the butter..

Nelly Rodriguez July 14, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Oh this looks awesome! Definitely joining the #baketogether fun!

Abby Dodge July 14, 2011 at 2:58 pm

Awesome.. welcome to the kitchen!

Yuri July 14, 2011 at 1:57 pm

Woohoo! Can’t wait to see all the entries for this month’s bake together. Thank you, Abbie :D

Abby Dodge July 14, 2011 at 2:58 pm

I can’t wait to see your version (s) :)

Abby Dodge July 14, 2011 at 2:54 pm

Great idea…now to find some fabulous and pretty fruit. Like I need an excuse. :)

Pia @ Peppercorns in my Pocket July 14, 2011 at 3:13 pm

abby, your blog, your books, and your bakes are an absolute inspiration!
my blog is just a baby, and i’m so very new at this whole thing. thanks for the follow on twitter…it just made my day!

Abby Dodge July 14, 2011 at 3:24 pm

Thanks Pia. Please join “us” for #baketogether — we’d love to see what your English spin would be!

Maranda July 14, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Wow! What an amazing cake with so many possibilities! I love the sound of all your changes. I will have to give this one some thoughts. And yes…the extended summer timeline is great as well!

Maris(In Good Taste) July 14, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Love this simple yet deliciously elegant cake!

Carrie @ poet in the pantry July 15, 2011 at 1:53 am

Love this idea! Easy peasy cake that looks pretty and should be super tasty. Can’t wait to make it!

Abby Dodge July 15, 2011 at 12:24 pm

Welcome to “our” kitchen! and yes, this cake is certainly easy, peasy lemon squeezy

Jamie July 16, 2011 at 10:04 am

Okay, you have been reading my mind! Strolling through the market this morning I told Jp that I wanted to make a simple berry cake just like this. So YAY! Fabulous recipe and our favorite kind of cake.

Abby Dodge July 17, 2011 at 10:02 am

Thx J.. this kind of cake is such a chameleon – perfect for so many functions at any time of day and it has so many flavor and fruit options.. I can’t wait to see what my two French pals dream up!

Winnie July 16, 2011 at 4:55 pm

Perfect! Love this idea Abby :)

Abby Dodge July 17, 2011 at 10:03 am

Winnie.. I’m thinking your cake will be a beautiful golden yellow what with those fresh eggs of yours. Speaking of which, do you weigh them before using so they are approx the right size?

Elle July 18, 2011 at 11:58 am

Beautiful! I’d love to get in on this, is that ok?

Abby Dodge July 18, 2011 at 12:15 pm

We’d LOVE to have you in our group kitchen!!

Elle July 18, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Thanks so much!

Barbara | Creative Culinary July 18, 2011 at 12:01 pm

I have the perfect idea. Now it’s all about perfect timing isn’t it? Love your cake but can’t help but notice those flowers. Are they from your garden? So beautiful Abby.

Abby Dodge July 18, 2011 at 12:18 pm

The timing is a problem – esp this time of year. That’s why I gave us all some extended baking time. Wish I could take credit for the flowers.. they were a gift from a friend. I love Hydrangeas but, unfortunately, so do all the deer that chomp away in my yard!

Baker Street July 18, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Love, love, love the idea. Your cake is perfect. :)

Pat Sinclair July 18, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Love the idea of baketogether! I think the idea of a simple cake for summer is perfect. Gotta get baking.

Abby Dodge July 18, 2011 at 5:44 pm

Hey Pat.. delighted to have you baking with us this month!!

Renee - Kudos Kitchen July 18, 2011 at 5:39 pm

Well, you’ve talked me into it. I love the concept of #baketogether and after reading the recipe, I’ve come up with a twist that I’m excited to try. Can’t wait to get baking. Thanks Abby. Great idea!

Abby Dodge July 18, 2011 at 5:45 pm

This party is really going to rock! I can’t wait to see what you come up with Renee!

Annapet July 21, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Wow, everything here looks great. I can browse all day and I won’t get my chores done ;-) .

Lora @cakeduchess July 22, 2011 at 11:47 pm

Hi Abby!:) I made an upside-down buttermilk peach cake for #baketogether. I love your recipe:)
Here is my link: http://www.cakeduchess.com/2011/07/upside-down-buttermilk-peach-cake-and.html
Have a wonderful weekend and can’t wait to see the other links:)

Abby Dodge July 23, 2011 at 11:26 am

Lora.. this is heavenly! I’m checking for peaches at the market today – if I find ripe ones, I’m making your cake for t’mrow night’s beach dinner!

Maya@Foodiva's Kitchen July 26, 2011 at 2:03 am

Hi Abby, it’s my first time commenting on this blog though I’ve visited many times (shame on me!). I missed the past #baketogethers but would love to join in this one. I live out in the tropics, would it be okay if I used tropical fruits that are available to me? Berries and such are hard to come by around here, they have to be airflown from abroad.

Abby Dodge July 26, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Oh Maya, I think I can speak to all of #baketogether folks: we would LOVE to see your tropical spin- Have at it! Oh and please make note of any changes you need to make to the leavening etc to adjust for your humidity, etc.. Happy to have you on board!

Renee - Kudos Kitchen July 27, 2011 at 9:49 am

My first (of many I hope) #baketogether posts. This was luscious!!! Thank you Abby!

Becca H. July 30, 2011 at 11:15 pm

Ooooo… that looks SO lovely! Do you have room in the #baketogether kitchen for one more? I’m thinking that white chocolate ganache could be a deliciously fun twist somehow! Nutella and summer fruit? Hmmm…. decisions, decisions

Abby Dodge July 31, 2011 at 10:41 am

Love to have you in the kitchen with us! Can’t wait to see your spin..

Elizabeth of AsianinAmericamag July 31, 2011 at 9:42 pm

This is a fabulous cake ! I love how the fruits were used. And the photos are fantastic! I will enjoy baking this recipe. Must get on it right away !

Abby Dodge August 1, 2011 at 2:02 pm

So happy to have you join in out #baketogether !

Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite August 3, 2011 at 2:13 am

My post is up – and ironically we are living in a house here in Colmar with a plum tree so am planning on making this again today!

Lisa / Muffin Tin August 5, 2011 at 9:30 am

Just posted my cake with cornmeal and peaches. I did not copy you intentionally. Somehow I missed the last comment in your post about using cornmeal. Great minds think alike!

Abby Dodge August 5, 2011 at 9:55 am

Not copying me at all! I other up suggestions for everyone to use or to inspire – this looks awesome!

Yuri August 5, 2011 at 7:48 pm

I baked 8 mini cakes with 4 different toppings: guava, seedless grapes, peach and orange :) everyone loved them!

Xai Losito August 6, 2011 at 10:50 pm

So I was going through my twitter feed and saw it flooded with #baketogether. I was so intrigued and clicked on most of the links and they all led me here. This is such an awesome idea and the community that it built is just so wonderful. So while sitting here at the hospital waiting for my fiance to get off work, I have decided that I will join you and the other awesome bloggers in baking a fruity cake this august. I am sooo excited. I hope your kitchen isnt that cramped yet.

Abby Dodge August 7, 2011 at 6:38 am

Oops.. I answered an email #baketogether here instead of the comment.. That’s what I get for doing so at 6:30am and on my iPhone! My bad. Back to the real response next..

Kate @ Food Babbles August 7, 2011 at 8:09 am

I made a delicious Ginger Apricot Cake for #BakeTogether! http://foodbabbles.com/2011/08/07/ginger-apricot-cake-for-baketogether/

Pat Sinclair August 7, 2011 at 3:58 pm

I just posted my photo on my blog PatCooksandBakes.com As the author of Scandinavian Classic Baking (Pelican Publishing, 2011) I had to add a Scandinavian twist. For fruit I used fresh peaches and added 1 teaspoon ground cardamom. Bacause I didn’t have a 9-inch cake pan deep enough I baked the cake in a spring form pan. This cake was a hit, and easy to make. What’s next, Abby?

Abby Dodge August 11, 2011 at 10:51 am

This looks awesome Pat! Congrats on the new book!!

Deeba Rajpal (@vindee) August 8, 2011 at 10:22 pm

You tempt me to hop on board…what a delicious idea this is!

Abby Dodge August 9, 2011 at 7:36 am

I know I can speak for the entire # baketogether family and say “yeah welcome to the kitchen”!

Deeba Rajpal (@vindee) August 9, 2011 at 6:07 am

I missed the twitter feed as have been busy for ages, but caught the magic at Creative Culinary. May I join too? Just baked a very inspired Summer Fruit Cake & the kids are wolfing it down! Will leave a comment with the link once the post is live. Thank you … this event is inspiring! Yay you… and yay twitter!

Abby Dodge August 9, 2011 at 7:39 am

We can’t wait to see your post!!

JenniferA August 10, 2011 at 10:02 pm

Here’s mine! Summer Fruit Cake with Grilled Peaches & Honey.

Deb @ knitstamatic August 14, 2011 at 5:43 pm

Hi Abby, just posted my #baketogether cake: Fig-Honey Summer Fruit Cake

Abby Dodge August 14, 2011 at 6:41 pm

oh my goodness.. this looks and sounds amazing..

Lynn @ I'll Have What She's Having August 14, 2011 at 8:33 pm

Loved this cake! I made a couple of small changes, cut back sugar and added honey. I also used clarified butter because I was out of butter. Topped with Concord Grapes, the results were amazing! Thanks for the recipe!

Deeba Rajpal (@vindee) August 15, 2011 at 9:09 am

Just posted mine Abby. Thanks for bringing this group together and for the twitter shout! http://www.passionateaboutbaking.com/2011/08/baking-plum-almond-ginger-summer-fruit-cake-for-src-and-baketogether.html

Abby Dodge August 15, 2011 at 9:32 am

Oh Deeba .. this is extraordinary!!

Maya@Foodiva's Kitchen August 15, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Hi Abby, I just posted my summer cake up. I used tropical fruits and flavors and I hope you’ll enjoy it. This has been so much fun, thanks for sharing the recipe!

Elizabeth of QueensNotebook August 16, 2011 at 3:27 pm

Hi Abby! Thanks for giving me the chance to join in the fun of the #baketogether event. I really enjoyed baking that gorgeous Summer Fruit Cake with Pineapple on http://www.queensnotebook.com. The pineapple aroma just overtook the whole house….so sweet ! Looking forward to many more fun events with you and the rest!

Baker Street August 17, 2011 at 10:58 pm

Hey Abby! I made a vanilla black cherry summer cake. Here’s the link.

Ken August 19, 2011 at 7:06 am